Abstract

The Province of Misiones is situated in the northeast of Argentina. It stands like a wedge into the region of humid subtropical forests between Paraguay, to the west, and Brazil to the east. The majority of its borderline (90%) lies along a socio-political frontier with one of the two countries, the remaining 10% limits to the south with the Province of Corrientes. It presents a very special language tapestry, a well knitted fabric of many languages with different degrees of vitality, which makes it unique in Argentina. There is a noticeable presence of different languages, among them Portuguese, Guarani, Spanish varieties spoken along the frontiers with Brazil and Paraguay, but there are also languages that were brought with the migrations from Europe and Asia in the 19th and 20th centuries. There is also a strong vitality in the use of the Mbya variety of Guarani spoken by the indigenous people who live in their villages scattered along the whole province, mainly in the tropical Paranaense Forest, which is protected by special laws.

This presentation aims at showing two main programs that have been implemented under the Education Ministry of Misiones, through the Linguistics Policies Institute (Law N° VI-141/2009). The first one is directed to develop educational policy concerning indigenous communities, involving schooling for children and youth, taking into account our Constitutional legal frames and educational laws. The other program, deals with the school teachers, managers and advisors from Brazil and Argentina, from de provinces of Corrientes and Misiones, under the MERCOSUR Agreements on Education, which were planned along time through meetings in Buenos Aires, Brazilia, Montevideo and Asuncion.

Key words: bilingual education, indigenous people, schooling